Just So You Know

Saturday, September 30, 2006


Co Hoedeman
(Is that how you spell it, I don’t' know)

So, the Co Hodeman film festival was a great success, other than the fact that it was really long, but all in all, it was more than worth it. Lets list the films I watched with short summaries and thoughts of what I thought about them, how 'bout it, eh?
- Oddball : A film about a little stick guy who liked to play with balls, no plot really, but the visuals were a bit stimulating and the color spectrum stuck to the basics.
- Tchou - Tchou : A film about a boy and a girl who meet in a world of blocks and have to survive against an evil dragon. Loved it, the whole thing was filmed with blocks, the ones you would use when you were a little kid. Every scene drawn unto the blocks, pretty cool, this one kept me awake, unlike the next one.
- Ludovic - Winter : A bear called Ludovic and his adventures during winter with a doll. Obviously aimed towards the child market, it reminded me a lot of Franklin the Turtle, or whatever that children's show is called. I got bored, and the voice for the bear was very annoying, but I can't complain, I'm sure the kids eat it up.
- The Sand Castle : Everyone liked or even loved this one, because it was the one he won the academy award for, so if you didn't like it then you're going to burn (maybe that is a bit too harsh). This sand creature makes other sand creatures to build a huge sand castle but in the end the sand piles over it, a bit of a hanging ending there, music was great, and there were a lot of funny parts in it.
- The Box : Co Hoedeman in his own films….Creepy. Co makes a little guy and sets him free into the world of animation were he encounters many different things. Interesting, but after the sand castle a let down, and once again, Co is his own films, creepy.
- Sand Animation : (Not By Co) This was about an owl and a duck having children and the awkwardness they have and about their life. Ending is a big let down. Amazing how you can do that with just sand and a light table, amazing what you can do with light tables. It was an Inuit legend but I can't explain it that well, I apologize.
- Charles and Francois : One of his films with a deeper meaning than the rest of them, it brings back some memories. This was the film I watched when I came on my visit in December of last year, it was a good memory. Living to a rip old age, and the understanding of life and where you go after life, don’t want to ruin it for you.
- The Sniffing Bear : A bear finds a toxic chemical by an igloo and commences to sniff it and get "high" or something like it. A seal and owl try to take it away, but the bear is so involved in the sniffing that he doesn’t know it’s a poison, its just nice. So he fights the animals that are tying to help him. Almost killed by his ignorance and temptation, the seal and owl finally show him it is bad and he smashes it and walks away. The project initiated by Inuit natives, a public service announcement for igloo people, don’t' leave your weed and coke outside of your 'gloo where animals can get to it.
(Last but not least) - Mariennes Theatre : Strange, a theatre within a theatre within a theatre. I didn't like it that much, thought it didn't match up with his other works, but it was the last one and I was getting tired, as I am now, so I'll say it just depends on your state of awake fullness, the more awake you are, the more you'll appreciate it.

1 Comments:

At 4:17 PM, Blogger Caitlynn said...

Whoops...I guess I'm going to burn. I actually wasn't very fond of "Sand Castle". I was sad at the end when it all got destroyed. Silly of me, I'm sure, but still.

And I liked the Ludovic film. I suppose something about a cuddly bear character made me think back to fond memories from my childhood. I also liked "Tchou-Tchou" because I thought it was very creative and fun.

Right. So. I definitely feel like I'm about 5 years old now. lol

 

Post a Comment

<< Home